Sunday, June 1, 2008

7th Step closer to $10,000


Watch your drinking

My friend asked why I was attacking beer since she thought I liked beer. I do like beer and I’m not attacking beer I’m attacking careless and wasteful spending.
I was at the grocery store and saw 12 packs of Labatt Blue and Bud Light both going for $9.00, these are great beers at great prices. Down the isle I saw beers at a higher end of the scale for $14.00, Land Shark, for 12 and finally the craft brewed stuff at about $16.00 for 12. If I go through 12 beers a week and switch from craft brewed to Bud Light I will save about $7.00 a week, even a $5.00 savings is nothing to sneeze at. So the savings can be about $30 a month or $365 annually, but look at what happens when we go out.
A draft of Guinness is about $4.50, more depending on local sin tax or in about every other country in the world. A domestic is about $1.50 during happy hour and I can’t remember when I have ever seen anything other than domestics on special during happy hour. If I have 3 Guinness in an evening compared to 3 domestic brews I can save around $9.00 before tip. If I go out 4 times a month with friends I’ll save $36.00 a month drinking a domestic beer. Couple the $36.00 savings with the savings from my take home beer and you are looking at about a $66.00 a month savings or $792 a year

No comments: