Tuesday, May 20, 2008

2nd step closer to $10,000

Walk more.

With gas officially at $4.00 a gallon it is no longer an ancillary expense so let’s take a real look at what a short trip costs you.
I want to go to the mall to meet friends or shop.
I really don’t, but many of my friends who are more exciting and better dressers do.
Let’s say I spend 25 minutes in my car with driving there, waiting at lights and looking for a space to park. That is about a gallon of gas or $4 or $8 if I want to get home again.
We can take that same 25 minutes and go somewhere closer. If we drive smaller trips to the grocery, library, tavern, post office, etc, those trips can quickly add up to 25-50 minutes or $4-$8 in gas.
If we add up small trips which are not related to work and walk we could have a savings of $8 a week or $32 a month.
An annual savings of $384 a year.

No comments: